Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Judge Will Be Judged


I thought I had escaped it, 
But ultimately it was inevitable.
My time has come
To make this final decision. 
A member of my family has 
Resurrected the news that has haunted me for so long.
My son has freed me of my burden;
He doesn't know but he will surely find out.
We have lived a lie, one that he deserves
To know. Throughout my existence 
I have been able to realize my greatest
Flaws have outweighed my greatest feats. 
Sucked into corruption, my name will be
Forever tarnished by my son; irony 
All too real to create. Where did my
Little boy go? What happened to your childhood?
Do you not remember? I taught you about life
And treated me you as my own, if only you knew
The truth. You didn't have to eliminate me, 
We could live in peace forever; but 
Your employer controls you now, not only 
Your destiny but mine as well.
My decision and your charges against me I
Will not deny. When a friend, a man of 
God, an admirable father, a hard worker,
And a heaven bound sole, calls for one
Simple favor, I was willing to go against my usual 
Judgement. I lived with my sin for
All of these years, becoming too comfortable
With my greatest lapse in character. But
You awoke me from my ignorant hibernation. 
Alone, with this bullet I do not understand,
For what reason has my own son turned against me?
Perhaps I sit here because I have denied him
The fact he deserves to know. 
A broken man will have no more to wonder
For eternal sleep will come silently. 
This bullet represents the inner peace I
Lacked for so many years. The trigger
Feels right, wrapped around my finger, knowing
Only God can judge me now. But on
Earth the judge has made his final decision, 
Admitting the truth indirectly.
 

1 comment:

APLITghosts said...

Did you know that this was a pick of William Faulkner. He is one of my all time favorites. It is hard for me to consider him to be the judge though as he was a fairly demonized alcoholic. He does look a bit judge like however. I can see why you picked it. I like the writing. It is thoughtful and it sounds like the Judge. I think you could make him a bit angrier at Jack. If he is Jack's real father, he should want to lead Jack more and probably he should have a bit more to say. I'd like to know why he never told Jack that he was his father. - elmeer